Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Recording Methodology

For the live perfomances, the method I'm using to record is pretty unsophisticated. My recipe:
  • One HP nx5000 laptop (with 1/8" microphone-in jack)
  • One Roland HP-237 digital piano (with 1/4" earphone jacks)
  • One 1/4"-1/8" converter
  • One 3 foot long 1/8th inch stereo patch cord
  • Audacity open-source audio editing software (makes WAVs and MP3s)
I play my performance live into the one-track midi recorder built into the Roland. Then I hook the audio patch cable into both the laptop mic jack and the Roland headphone jack, fire up Audacity, and record the playback.

For the arranged pieces, I upload an MP3 recording from my modest catalog of unreleased music. These are either edited piano works, 8 bit arrangements from an archaic ad-lib package called "MusicianI," or 16 bit MIDI sequences performed on whatever synthesizers I had at the time.

Please check back and listen, as I really enjoy playing for others and have no audience in my home. Thanks for stopping by!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I use the FP-9 for my recordings.

pianodigital.blogspot.com

But I haven't posted my compositions online. Should I do it? I'm not sure. The copyrighting fees is running high.

22 April, 2006 12:52  
Blogger SafeTinspector said...

rahul: You could use the Creative Commons (www.creativecommons.org) license, which is free to use.
It does, however, allow for free redistribution of your work. It asks that the user of your work give you credit and ask permission to modify it.
I don't even bother with that.
I know my music has no commercial value, and I do it purely as a hobby. I freely allow anyone to do anything they want, but I do ask that I be given credit and a notice that my work is being used.

23 April, 2006 14:46  
Blogger SafeTinspector said...

I used to rent an FP9 occasionally before I bought the HP-147.
I even wrote a review on it! Click here for the review

23 April, 2006 14:49  
Blogger SafeTinspector said...

gladwin:Mainly because I don't see much demand for the music I make.
I've made CDs from friends and relatives and the crickets chirped.
I've resigned myself to the fact that my output is entirely without merit.

26 April, 2006 06:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

01 February, 2007 17:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home